Friday, January 21, 2011

Headed for sixty and staying visible ...

Had a conversation with a co-worker who had read my blog ... she feels she is becoming invisible as she ages.  According to her, no one notices her (or any older people for that matter).  I have to disagree.  It is clearly my intention to stay visible and suggested she do likewise.

One thing I've decided to do is refuse to buy "ordinary" clothes.  If it doesn't have some detail that grabs my attention ... something that says "this article of clothing belongs to Nona" ... then I don't want it.  You know, it might be that little sparkle or a touch of bling ... perhaps a color that does way more than whisper.  I refuse to wear anything that is pastel polyester.  Please ... it's not that I want to be known as the "crazy old lady with the outlandish clothes," but I'd much prefer that to being invisible.

Accessories ... aren't they wonderful?  So yes, I did recently buy a rather sedate lavender sweater.  But when the right scarf is thrown around the neck (or even better, draped dramatically across the shoulders), well, you'd never say it made me invisible.  Now that I think of it, I may start considering my hair as just another accessory.  True, I'll probably never go punk rock pink with the hair, but it might change colors occasionally.  Just because my drivers license says my hair is brown doesn't mean it has to stay brown.  After all, weight used to be listed on drivers licenses ... and that was seldom right so I don't see why hair color should be treated like it is chiseled in stone.

So ... you know who you are ... don't allow yourself to become invisible.  Enjoy being older and embrace your entitlement to be just a little "out of the ordinary".  After all, old ladies have been doing just that very thing for generations.  We have a tradition to carry on.  But, if you're not willing to take my word for it ... just ask this lady.  She certainly doesn't feel the need to dress in pastels ... and I'm willing to bet there is nothing polyester in her closet.


God save the Queen

1 comment:

Chel said...

That's right ~ Don't fear the bling! :)
Rachele