Monday, June 6, 2011

... and still falling in love

To Dennis ... Happy Anniversary

On June 6, 1970, we were two very young kids getting married. That was 41 years ago today. The truth is, we were too young to know much, but we knew that we were in love and should be together. It wasn't always easy, but we stuck together, worked together and we have thrived and grown through the trials.
 A long and successful marriage doesn't come easy ... it requires work. A good marriage requires a commitment that is to be renewed each and every day. That is exactly what we've done.
Even then, we realized what the marriage license is ... we considered it a contract. Together, we made a contract between ourselves and God that we would always love each other. There were many witnesses, but the contract was between the three of us, and the three of us alone. By failing to love each other, we would have failed to uphold our part of our contract with God.
I still proudly wear the ring that you placed on my finger that day. Other rings may be fancier, other diamonds bigger, but this ring signifies a love that will never waiver. It is the only ring that will ever be a true wedding ring to me.
Just look at us ... don't we look like a bunch of kids playing "dress up"? With only one exception, we are in contact with all of the people who stood up with us that day. Sure wish I knew where Martha is (far left side of both pictures).
I'm so blessed to have been able to marry the young man you were on that date. I know that you love me beyond measure and you treat me like a queen. Together, we have raised three wonderful children and we grandparent eight precious grandchildren. It was a team effort and I can't imagine anyone else being my husband, the father of my children, nor the grandfather to my grandchildren.

Every day, I fall in love with you all over again.
Every day, I make the decision to renew my commitment to you.
Every day, I am blessed to share my life with you.
Every day, I count you as my very best friend.
Every day, I'm thankful that God has allowed me to be your wife

And today, I send bunches of love to the best man ever ... my wonderful husband, Dennis.

Bunches to you babe!

5 comments:

Pat's Blog said...

Congratulations to the both of you... you make it look easy....

judiekayporter said...

"Still the one who can scratch my itch... Still the one and I wouldn't switch..."

jen said...

That is the sweetest thing I have ever read... Love to you both and HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!

( yes it brought tears to me )

Nona said...

Brother dear ... glad it looked that way.

Judie ... we're still having fun, and he is still the one (liberty taken with lyrics)

Jen ... don't cry. Just love Bill forever.

Donna said...

Such a sweet tribute to Dennis, Nona. You should print this for your children and grandchildren to have! Love you lots - Happy Anniversary, dear friend.