Thursday, November 3, 2011

~ ~ ~ and thankful for those who came before

I'm thankful for my grandparents. While I never met some of them, they are all very special to me none the less. I have pictures of my grandmothers on my dresser, and they both passed away before I was born.

My daddy's mom was only 26 when she caught pneumonia and passed away (Daddy was just a tiny little guy and had no memories of his mother). Still, I'm thankful for her. She was a strong, beautiful woman. In the picture below, my daddy hadn't yet been born, but based on the ages of my uncles, it is likely that she was in the early stages of her pregnancy with him.


Times were hard in the early 1900s and so my grandfather had his mother come live with him to help him with the four boys he was left to raise without their mother. Never met this lady either, but my Daddy loved her and she helped shape him into who he was, so I'm thankful for my great grandmother Roland.

But then, whether through love or necessity, my grandfather married the lady that I loved and knew as my grandmother. I know that by the time I came along, they were deeply in love with each other. She came complete with three children of her own. It wasn't until I was in my late elementary years that I realized that this wonderful grandmother was actually my step-grandmother. Made absolutely no difference to me as she loved me and I loved her. Perhaps that is why I don't make any differentiation between my step-grandchildren and my grandchildren. To me, they are all mine. That is a lesson I learned from my Grandmother Ballew, a lady that I am also thankful for. She is shown here with my Grandfather Ballew at a birthday celebration for him.
Grandfather Ballew was a man of God and always dressed so nicely to go to church on Sunday. I have so many fond memories of sitting with him in church, trying not to squirm or wiggle, because he was so attentive and I never wanted to disappoint him. I'm thankful for his example and his patience with me - I'm thankful for him!

My momma's mother, Grandmother Spharler, passed away before I was born also. She was only 56 and based on stories that Momma has told me about her, she was a true lady. That's easy to imagine when I look at this picture of her in her young days. She and my grandfather made an extremely attractive couple. 

Here's a picture of her probably not too many years before she passed away. Her hair was long (at one point, it touched the floor) and she always wore it up. I'm thankful for her for so many reasons, but probably the biggest reason is because her first child is my mom.

I'm thankful for my Grandpa Spharler. I hear stories of what a harsh man he was, but by the time I came along, he had mellowed and was a loving and gentle grandfather to me. I'm so thankful for him and the love he gave me. When he would write letters to Momma, he would often tape a piece of chewing gum for her to give to me. I wonder what kids today would think of that. To me, it was a piece of love traveling the miles.

Yes, for each of these beautiful people who came before, I am thankful. 

Thankfulness comes from deep within us ~ ~ ~

Bunches!



No comments: